Monday, June 29, 2009

Boardwalk Empire Blues..An Open Letter to The production people at Boardwalk

Dear Boardwalk Empire Production,

I have worked many years doing background work. I have experienced the bad,the good, and the ugly side of working on film and TV productions. Lately I have seen the more of the "ugly" in this business as of late in terms of being used for minimum wage.

It has been my understanding that if you work hard enough, that you will at least get a chance to get into one of the most sought after unions, SAG (Screen Actors Guild). Getting into a union like this one not only gives you credibility, but makes you feel like you have accomplished something. It's a dream that people like you and me aim to achieve.


I am not saying that I am aiming to be the next Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman. What I am saying is I would like a little respect and some reward for my hard efforts in this business. Is that too much to ask?? Apparently it is and this was demonstrated on the set of "Boardwalk Empire". An HBO production with the pilot directed by the one and only, Martin Scorsese.


It was such an honor and privilege to work with Hollywood's finest directors, Martin Scorsese.The most ironic thing about this entire experience is perhaps the fact that the scene that I was in reflected upon the 1920's prohibition where Women were just given the privileges for the right to vote.


I was also involved in the Boardwalk scene itself. I have to admit that the scene itself was very impressive! It was a replica of the 1920's Atlantic city boardwalk. What was not that impressive was the catering and the fact that we worked on this set for 20 hours!

I understand that you need to get the shot completed as time is money. Though in this case I think that there should have been some kind of a raffle or a bump in pay for dealing with all those long hours. Just to show some appreciation for us background giving every little last bit of energy we have left.

Without background, you do not have a movie.


Sincerely,

Back to one.


No comments: