Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bored To Death Boxing Scene Day 2

I got home before midnight from the long day on "Bored to Death" and was exhausted. I still had to stay up long enough to hear the call times for "Day 2". I was relieved to hear that the call times for "Day 2" was a little better for 9:45 am.

The great thing about getting a 2-day booking is that you have already gone through hair and make-up the day before and don't have to go through that again, especially when it's a continuity scene. Also you don't have to carry a suitcase full of clothes and only need to bring what you wore the day before.

So I set out to Brooklyn one more time and got to the holding area. This time there were not too many tables available. Luckily my friend Robyn saved me a seat, though it was all the way in the back where the chairs and space was SO tight that even the thinnest person had toSqueZZe by. This was really annoying and on top of it, you have inconsiderate people who put their bags on the chairs.

Around 10am the PA was screaming out to get ready and that we would be going on set in about ten minutes. An hour later, we are all called to take our original positions where we sat the day before. Slowly we get to set and the crew and everything is already set up. I walk around to the side of the ring and my seat is being occupied by TedDanson himself. The PA shouts out "Everyone take your seats and BE quiet!" I gesture to the PA and tell him"I am not going to tell TedDanson to get out of my seat!"

Eventually the Second AD comes by, acknowledges the situation and ask Ted to take his first position. Today was the BIG fight with Ted and the Boss from the other team. I took my seat where Ted had just warmed it up for me. His first position was right in front of me with him standing by the side of the boxing ring waiting to get into the ring to box.

There is a scene in the boxing ring before he gets into his fight scene. So Ted is Standing there for hours...that is Ted Danson and his psoriasis! He had the psoriasis all over the back of his legs. It wasn't horrible looking and probably not that noticeable from afar, but up close it was not lovely.

Trying to focus on something else, I moved on from his skinny legs and moved to his butt. He was that close to me. I know that if Linda was sitting with me, she would have gone up and grabbed his ass for sure! Really miss Linda, and just can't stop thinking about her and her spirit. Though I did feel her presence there, for sure.

Moving along..

On with Ted Danson's scene... It begins with him and his competitor in the boxing ring doing their dance and throwing jabs and punches and doing many prat falls. In the first round Ted is taking the lead and we are cheering and rooting for him. Over and over and over again. It was exhausting for the two actors for sure, though it was as equally exhausting having to stand up every time to root and cheer and holler in excitement.

In the next round Ted is getting really exhausted though he knocks his competitor down. Sits down in the corner to gt water and toweled down and returns to the ring to fight some more. Having the confidence and stamina, he goes into the next round all charged up. They begin their dance and jabs here and there. All of a sudden the other guy throws such a heavy punch that sends Ted down, down to the ground on the floor. The referee counts down and Ted is OUT! The fight is over. Done! However, we were far from done that day for taping the show.

Far from done indeed....

It was already 5pm from being in their for that scene when we were called to lunch. What a relief. Though I couldn't actually run to holding as I was still in those heels. Made it to holding to wait in the lunch line where there were already 50 people ahead of me. I felt like"I Linda was here, we would be in the front of the line!" Oh well I made the best of it. Though this catering service, "Henry's Catering" was so gourmet and SO good, that they kept coming out replenishing the trays of food. What food they had!

Everything from Mussels, Calamari Salad, spinach with strawberry salad, baked ziti, walnut cranberry stuffed chicken breasts, brisket, lasagna..I mean the list goes on. It was like a wedding banquet feast! Truly the best catering around. That crappy "TomKats" catering could take a lesson on how to make and serve food from Henry's catering for sure.

If all that food wasn't enough, the deserts were to die for. There were 4 different types of cheesecakes, chocolate cake, tarts, and my favorite of all time..crumbles Oreo cookie cake!YUMSTERS!!! I must have gained a few pounds just looking at it. I grabbed a small piece and it just melted. It was Orgasmic!

Well that "orgasm" was short lived as we were called back to set. I was hoping that we were half way done, well I was wrong. At that point only the people who were in the primary scene were asked back to set. The rest of us were being drained from the waiting around and waiting and more waiting back in holding. Mind you at times I rather be in holding than sit on set where you have to be quiet.

So while in holding people talk and either you get information that is valid or you just sit around talk about nothing. The only relevant bit of information was when this young Asian American girl was talking about her experiences on "Sorcerers Apprentice", that Nicolas Cage movie which IS cursed!

There was a scene in Canal Street and the scene was for some Chinese New Year. So of course they wanted Asians for this scene. Well the thing is the majority of the Chinese who live at Canal street are undocumented workers. On top of it, the ones who did get hired and had legal working papers brought their entire family to set to hoard all the food from catering. So in droves they were pilfering all the bananas, cakes, and bagels to take home. I mean Chinese don't eat bagels??

To make matters worse..hhehhehe...these Chinese who HAVE NEVER worked as background and could barely speak English..messed up the entire scene SO badly that they had to re-do the entire 4-night shoot ALL over again. Gee.. I guess that must cost money to do.

Yes..I am still angry over the fact that I DID not get the final call-back when I auditioned for this movie for the role of the Russian Woman. Though I have to admit, this bit of news made me feel better.

After that conversation, there were a few people that were asking me about what happened to Linda. So I had to re-live all that again to explain to people. Then I get some bizarre stories how this one person says she felt Linda's presence through her TV set... I was like I had enough and reallywanted to leave at this point.

But NO! There was much more torture to come...

Now everyone gets called back to set and of course we go just to stand outside in cocktail dresses and heels in the chilly winds. After an hour of that joy, we are asked to go inside. Of course they are not doing anything but blocking thescene.

Clearly we were not even needed, and the PA send us up to the dusty balcony upstairs as a holding area so we could be close by and be at their beckon call. I was getting really perturbed and noticed that several people had left already. I thought they may still need me as I was the group closest to the front.

Hours went by and know I was getting hungry as many of us were. My friend Simon and I stepped outside and saw there were over 100 boxes of pizza outside on the table. We approach the table and we are quickly halted.

Angry and frustrated, Simon and I started to walk back to holding, got changed, papers signed out and went to to catch the G train. IT was already 2am by the time I got home. Back to Queens,

Back To One

No comments: