Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bored to Death Boxing scene Day 1

SO it's really late Tuesday night and the call times were finally released at 11pm at night. You would think this mean a decent call time of 10 am, not so much. The call time was for 8:30 am. out in Brooklyn. I guess it could have been worse like the last time when we were out in Brighton Beach which takes an hour an a half to get to.


According to Google search, the commute to this area in Brooklyn known as "Clinton Hills" would take an hour an a half. I can see that because the "G" train which is a train that only goes crosstown through Brooklyn and Queens has been called the "Ghost train" for how long it takes to come. However, I made all my connections and got to the holding area in record time.

In fact it was as bad as I thought. I got off the train and I got around the corner and there was craft services. So I grabbed a couple of pre-made breakfast sandwiches and headed inside this church where holding was to get signed in.

I get into holding and I see my dear friend and mentor, Robyn at a table already and saving a spot for me. I sit down and there is another lovely Lady by the name of Cara sitting there and she came out all the way from Connecticut to get to this shoot! I immediately introduced myself to her and commended her for being such a trooper. Though I was shortly called away and summoned by several other cohorts who wanted to speak to me. Cara, was so impressed of how much in demand I was that she "christened" me as "The Mayor of Holding!" What a great title! I was SO honored.

With all this going on, I could not excuse the fact that where Robyn chose to sit and save a seat for me, there was a dime on the table staring at me. I recall Linda telling me that she would see these dimes in strange places all the time and it meant her friend was thinking about her. I mean normally people see pennies on the street.

Though this dime was strategically placed on that table. I asked around if that dime belonged to anyone, no one claimed it. I believe it was Linda saying "Hello" and dropping by. Soon after, the dime disappeared, yet there was no one around at the time. Strange but I felt it was her.

Moving along..

The entire morning was consumed with getting our wardrobe checked to get approved and to get hair and make-up done. I went into the wardrobe line and I knew I would be okay. I had this great cocktail dress that was recently bought to go to a wedding. I go to wardrobe and I got the "thumbs up" of approval! Great on to the make-up wardrobe line.
So I am standing in that line, behind 2o other Women to get the makeup and hair. Finally it's my turn and I get called to sit in the "make-up chair". The makeup girl actually remembered me from another shoot. That was cool. At first she was like "Well they tell you to come hair and make-up ready". I was like "well I can't do makeup as well as you do..and besides I am "The Mayor of Holding!"

So that line went well and I was about to go into the "hair line". The hair designer as they call them, glanced over at me and said "You're fine!" No I wasn't! I was really upset as my makeup looked great, yet I get rejected in the "hair line!" I couldn't believe this mockery! My hair is "Never Fine!" I have frizzy, curly , hair that always need some polishing. So to be turned down was a bit insulting and upsetting. I mean this is why I come to this gigs to get free makeup and hair-do! I mean how can you turn down the "Mayor of holding!"
At that point they were calling a "select group" or as I call them "Suckers" to go to set. This was before the "Establishing shot". In my experience I figure I would rather be sitting in a holding area and be able to talk than to be on set where you are told every second to "Be Quiet" and have to do the same thing a thousand times over.

In fact we had So much fun in holding. The best part was that my musician and dance instructor friend , Lawrence was there! I am an awful dancer. In fact I can't dance at all. Still Lawrence took it upon himself to select me from sitting down and up to the floor to do a little tango! I was a little embarrassed, being the fact I can't dance. Though Lawrence was such a great instructor that he helped me through it and I didn't make a fool of myself.

After a while I got exhausted and my friend Robyn took over on the "dance floor" in holding. Our festivities soon had to end as the catering crew were coming into bringing in tables to set up for lunch. Our dance floor and dancing session was soon shut down.

As they were setting up the tables for lunch, the PA comes into the room and asks for everyone to come to set. I was like "Oh great" does this mean I have to work now?? I didn't come here to work! The only reason I even come to these sets is to socialize and eat!"

So the PA comes in the room in this overly dramatic "Rush, Rush"! Hurry up they need you now." RUN!" Of course I take my time, go to the bathroom, get a snack, make a phone call, read War and Peace, and of course by the time I get to set, there are still people outside in the chilly air wearing dresses, waiting to be called inside. Eventually the rest of the people get called and I am not looking forward to this as I am in heels and I really don't want to be standing for 14 hours!

Once I got in there, I took it upon myself to find a chair to sit down. The PA's were still placing people around the scene which was evolved around a boxing ring. At the time I didn't know that I actually got myself prime piece of real estate of where all the action would occur.

It;'s taking forever to get everyone else situated. Finally after about an hour with nothing going on ,save for being told to "Shhh" and be quiet, the actors came on set and the scene started to come alive.

The scene was in the boxing ring. The match was between two rivalry advertising companies, "GQ and Edition". Our side of the ring where we were sitting, were rooting for "Team Edition".The other side was rooting for "Team GQ". Our Boss was "George" played by Ted Danson and his teammate, Jason Shwartzman.

Jason was first up in the ring going up against a heavier guy from "Team GQ". They start doing their "boxing dance". JaB@#! HIT% PUNCH%%! HeadLock! It looks as if the heavier guy will be taking down Jason, but in the end Jason become the winner! Rah!! We all cheer. After he is declared the winner, he goes over to his girlfriend and wants to celebrate his victory. She kisses him on the cheek and then says in a very coy sweet voice"I would love to hang out with you but I have yeast infection!" He is puzzled? She continues..."I'm going out with my friend now but promise to drink a lot of cranberry juice!!!" She steps off the stage. He is left feeling stunned and dejected.

This may seem like it was an easy, simple and quick scene..not so much. The scene was done over and over and over again. The worst part had to have been the boxing match itself. How tired those guys must have been, fake jabbing and throwing fake punches which was all choreogrpahed. Never mind them we, the spectators had to stand up every time Jason was winning. Standing in heels over and over again is not fun. More poor toes were killing me by day's end.

Sure enought it was one of those days on set that you thought would never end...then came day 2....the day that DID NOTend!

Stay tuned...

Back To One


No comments: